Friday, December 4, 2009

Restaurant Review: Home on 8th

I ordered lunch today from Home On 8th. The have an entire (large) Vegetarian section to their menu. Non-vegan items are labeled with an asterisk.

According to various reviews on Menupages - the people who run the place are Buddhist and they have separate kitchens for meat and vegetarian cooking! Why can't all restaurants have that??

I ordered the Hawaiian Rice and Crispy BBQ Pork Belly (horrid name). When I opened up the rice I got a whiff of what smelled like bacon (my childhood favorite meat). I immediately asked one of my co-workers if she wanted it instead. I was disappointed that they had inaccurately put HAM in the vegetarian section of the menu! Also I had specifically asked if it was vegan (they can make all rice dishes without egg)!

My cube neighbor tried a piece of the "ham" to make sure it wasn't faux meat. She determine that it was "definitely" real pig and that I should call and ask for something else.

But when I called...turns out, they "don't use any real ham"!!! Yup! Imitation meat so legit a meat-eater couldn't even tell the difference!

Unfortunately the rice actually wasn't that flavorful (Ginger House is better). Could have used more pineapple and veggies.

The BBQ "pork" was quite good, needed a bit of salt though.


Overall a very good lunch. I will definitely order there again. They have many other "faux meat" options that I couldn't choose between. And the Ginger & Tofu soup sounds SO good on a cold day!

1 comment:

  1. I've eaten at Home on 8th twice. Skip the bland veggie dumplings. The Peanut Butter Lover's Tofu was good but drowning in sauce. I was also disappointed with all the wasteful plastic packaging. I opted not to go back.

    This new vegan place recently opened in the same area: http://lovinghut.us/newyorkcity/

    ReplyDelete