Saturday, November 28, 2009

Tofu....for breakfast???

I busted out my first vegan cookbook on Saturday; Peta's Vegan College Cookbook. These recipes are crazy simple! In fact most are meant to be made in the microwave (kinda gross, I know), but most can be cooked in the oven or stove top.

Today I tried making the "Morning in Mexico Scramble"

Ingredients:
1 package Firm Tofu (drained and rinsed)
2 cups corn tortilla chips
1 teaspoon onion powder
2 cups Salsa


This recipe makes 3 servings. I only wanted 1 serving, so I used about a quarter of the tofu, a handful of chips, 1/4 teaspoon of onion powder and 1 cup of salsa.

I had bought (at Trader Joes) FRESH salsa. I really think this made the whole dish! Fresh tomatoes, onions and basil added lots of flavor! Check your grocery store in the refrigerator section.


I'd seen a lot of "fake meat" recipes that used soy sauce for flavor, so I added a couple of splashes of Low Sodium Soy sauce for an extra kick.

Directions:
Mash tofu and microwave for approx 4 minutes
Mix in Tortilla Chips and Onion Powder (and soy sauce?)
Microwave for approx 2 minutes
Add salsa (The recipe said to heat for another minute, but of course I didn't see that part! But I thought the cold salsa was nice and help cool the dish)

Total cooking time: Approx 8 minutes
Add a toasted slice of pita w/ vegan butter and this is a great easy (and tasty!) breakfast!




Note: I made this for breakfast for the last three days(!) I added a sprinkle of Mexican Blend/Shredded Soy Cheese from Trader Joes...totally delish!!

*Full credit for this recipe goes to People for the Ethical Treatment of Animals and Starza Kolman/Marta Holmber

No comments:

Post a Comment